Background

Wednesday 29 January 2014

It's raining it's pouring




Today the weather has been miserable so I only went out to get supplies for wedding invitations. Got what I needed and headed home through some rather big puddles. Then spent a few hours in my craft room,  unfortunately I can't show you what I've been up to but I realised that I hadn't shown you my hats that I've designed.

The first one to show was for my mum to wear on my wedding day.  A nice thank you present and so much nicer than the typical bunch of flowers.  I knew that the outfit she was wearing was a 1950's navy and strawberry dress as I helped pick it out.  

I started off by making petals and joining them to make flowers.  I joined the flowers together, 3 of them, and attached it to a miniature top hat.  Then I added feathers and a few embellishments. 



Here's mum wearing the hat


The next is one I made for myself to wear to my sister-in-law's wedding.  The dress I was wearing was navy with red shoes and blazer.  I decided to make a pill box hat out of red felt, navy feathers and butterfly embellishments.  Found a blog to make the basic shape http://blog.modcloth.com/2013/04/05/retro-revival-thinking-outside-the-pillbox/ then added stuffing to bulk it out, lining to give it a more professional finished look and elastic to secure it to my head.

Here's the finished article 


Here's me modelling the hat with my lovely husband 


2 comments: